Selling a House
Solicitors in Helston for selling a property.
In a normal sale transaction we would expect to do the following:-
- We will collect from you all relevant papers for the property including copy title documents and completed property information forms to enable us to prepare the sale contract.
- We will prepare the sale contract and send it to your buyer’s solicitor with all supporting documentation.
- We will obtain an up to date redemption statement (to tell us how much is owing) from your mortgage lender to ensure that there are no expected further redemption charges, etc. and we will you supply with a copy of this.
- We will deal with enquiries raised on behalf of your buyer.
- We will advise you on the sale contract and, when you are ready to do so, exchange contracts, at which stage you are irrevocably committed to the sale.
- We will then deal with pre completion matters including obtaining a redemption figure from your mortgage company, if appropriate, approving the Transfer document (to transfer the property into your buyer’s name) and prepare final accounts.
- We will complete your sale and upon completion deal with the formalities of discharging any mortgage on the property and reporting to you.
How much will it cost me?
How much it will cost you will depend on the property and on your circumstances. Our fees start at £520 + VAT.
Email or call us for a detailed estimate. You will need to tell us a bit about the property (value, size, flat or house etc.). We aim to provide you with a detailed estimate within 1 working day of you emailing us.
Please bear in mind that if the property you are selling is an investment property and has not been your main residence, capital gains tax will, in all probability, have to be paid when you sell the property. In particular you must give early consideration to the application of the Principal Private Residence Exemption. In these circumstances we recommend you take early advice from an accountant.
How long will it take?
Again, this depends on the circumstances, but we find that the majority of transactions complete within 6-8 weeks, sometimes a little longer, sometimes a little sooner. Much depends on mortgage lenders and other people in your chain. We will work closely with you to ensure that timescales fit to your needs.